Sodexo: First Company in its Sector to Make Worldwide Commitment to Cage Free Eggs
July 25, 2016
Sodexo, world leader in Quality of Life services, announced today it will source only cage free eggs (both shell and liquid) worldwide by 2025. The commitment marks a major step forward in the animal welfare strategy of the Group and bolsters its reputation as an industry leader on Corporate Responsibility.
“Our objective is to work collaboratively with our partners to support and contribute to the progressive transformation of the whole industry” said Michel Franceschi, Sodexo Group SVP Supply Management. “We will gather all the actors around the table in order to accompany the conversion and the evolution of the local industry so that by 2025, we will be able to source cage free eggs from local producers in each country where we operate.”
Sodexo will take advice at the international level from specialized NGO partners Compassion in World Farming, Humane Society International, and The Humane League to define and implement an action plan to ensure the company and its suppliers can achieve this goal within the next nine years. Local NGO outreach will also be established and developed as the new commitment is deployed.
The worldwide commitment advances Sodexo’s mission to contribute to the economic, social and environmental development of the cities, regions and countries where the company operates.
“For a company like Sodexo, with operations in 80 countries at more than 32,000 sites, and who sources approximately a quarter of a billion shell eggs worldwide on an annual basis, addressing animal welfare is a significant undertaking, due to the complexities of our supply chain and differences in agriculture practices around the world. Given our commitment to sourcing responsibly, we are focused on building partnerships with suppliers, authorities and farm animal welfare NGOs, to achieve progress and educate stakeholders about the issue.” said Neil Barrett, Sodexo Group SVP Sustainable Development.
In addition to building on its worldwide animal welfare position, Sodexo’s 2025 commitment to cage free eggs builds on the implementation of various national commitments previously made within its Better Tomorrow Plan framework:
- Sodexo in Belgium has been sourcing 100% cage free eggs since 2008
- Sodexo in Austria, Germany and Switzerland have been sourcing 100% cage free eggs since 2015
- Sodexo in North America has switched to cage free shell eggs in 2015 and is committed to source all liquid eggs solely from cage-free hens by the end of 2020.
More about Sodexo and Corporate Responsibility
Sodexo’s corporate responsibility efforts have been recognized for years.
- The company has been recognized as best-in-class for social, environmental and economic responsibility by the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes (DJSI) for 11 years in a row and has been a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) World since 2005. In 2014 and 2015, the company was also named Industry Group Leader for Consumer Services.
- For the last 8 years, Sodexo has been ranked as the best-performing company for Social, Environmental and Economic Performance in the benchmark RobecoSAM ‘Sustainability Yearbook,’ named as Industry Leader, Industry Mover and Gold Class in 2016.
To read the full version of the press release, please download the PDF.
- Press release (PDF)